- Return the state to a physical, fiscal sound position by keeping expenditures below revenue levels.
- Decentralized control of school funding.
- Stop placing requirements on school districts without allocating the associated funding. [Unfunded mandates]
- Develop a favorable business environment to retain quality jobs in the state and stop the brain drain.
- Graduate of Monticello high school
- Married to his wife Jacky for 27 years
- Two children: Amy graduated from Iowa State and is enrolled in law school at the University of Iowa. Ben is a senior at Iowa State.
- Completed two years at Iowa State
- Assumed responsibility of the family farm at age 25
- Served on the Monticello School Board for nine years; 5 years as president
- President of the Jones County Pork Producers
- President of the Iowa Farm Business Association
- Pork Producers and Cattlemen’s Association
- Cedar Valley Farm Business Association
- St. Matthews Church